Sunday, July 1, 2012

Chickens: End of week one

Well we have officially concluded the first week of chicken ownership. It has been so fun watching them grow, and getting to know each chicken's personality. We have already had to move them from the original brooder we took them home in. They were already flying out. A couple of days ago I heard a very distressed little chick peeping and peeping, when I went in the chick was all alone on the floor out of the brooder, and very unhappy.   I could have just put a top on it but felt like they could use more room anyways. So we are using a plastic kiddie pool and the guinea pigs wire fencing (we use to let them roam in the grass) So far no one has flown out. We have also added sticks for perching which they seem to enjoy.

Their tastes are expanding. In addition to corn on the cob and swiss chard, they love cucumber, meal worms, and radish greens. I just give them small amounts at a time so they can try different things, with out upsetting their digestion.


There was a house fly cruising around their brooder and they chased it around and tried to catch it. I am so impressed with their instincts. :)

Already I have left them alone for a whole day. Some work friends of Joey's were camping near by and we went to meet them for the evening, we ended up staying that night and most of Saturday until some one mentioned something about my chicks... and I suddenly had visions of tipped waterers, loose chicks, and hungry chicks and we got home that evening. I rushed in to check on them, and they were all snuggled down for a group nap, excited to see me as I am the barer of all things tasty, but otherwise perfectly content.

The kids have been a bit disappointed the chicks no longer enjoy being held and snuggled like on that first day, and really get distressed by being separated from each other, peeping loudly until they are back with the others. I think we will need to get a snugly kitten next :)

No comments: