Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Apple Pie Project

My husband, Joey, has very fond memories involving his Grandma and Apple Pie. I knew he liked apple pie, so I have made apple pie-ishness with a easy mix-and-press-into-the-pan-crust. He did confess to me that he prefers real crust, including a top crust. I don't know why but something possessed me, and I decided even if it killed me I would make a "real" semi comparable to Grandma's apple pie.

Finally, on the second try and after some tears while sitting on the kitchen floor in desperation, I completed my very first successful "real" pie crust. The pie is not the most beautiful in the world, but it tasted amazing!. Now that I have the basics down, and have learned that somewhere along the lines my pie crust recipe had a typo - 3 Cups of Flour vs 2 Cups of Flour, there is only room for improvement. Thanks to some one's Grandma Opal, and thanks to Bob of Bob's Red Mill flours for including a pie crust recipe on the packaging of Whole Wheat Pastry flour for helping my attempts at pie to be successful!

Here is the photo-documentation of the event:











My critic declared my pie delicious, and better than the store bought kind. I am satisfied. The sense of accomplishment is invigorating.

No comments: